Can someone explain how samba handles permissions?

Mike Langas mlangas at planet8.tds-eagan.lmco.com
Fri Sep 25 13:32:09 GMT 1998

Can someone explain the following behavior.  I don't understand
windows permissions very well, so I'm not sure if the following is a
problem or considered normal.

I have a directory called sigmaproj on my samba server; ls -la gives
the following information:
14 drwxrwxrwx  31 bkelly  users         6656 Sep 17 16:12 sigmaproj

in this directory is a file:
  2 -rw-r--r--   1 dvorak users         253 Jul  3 17:57 sigma.log

As I understand it, any user should be able to delete the file sigma.log

via a samba connection.  The Unix file system should allow the file to
be
deleted because all users have write privileges on the sigmaproj
directory.

If I understand windows permissions correctly, I believe I should also
be
able to delete the file after clicking the OK button on a warning dialog
box.
I find however, that samba users other than bkelly can not delete the
file sigma.log.

I wanted to verify that windows would allow such a delete, so I set up a
similar test
in a windows to windows environment.  As I suspected, I was able to
delete
the file after I confirmed my intentions on a dialog box.

If windows allows the delete and unix allows the delete, why doesn't
samba?
Do I have something configured incorrectly?

Thanks in advance,

Mike Langas