machine name lookups

David Collier-Brown davecb at Canada.Sun.COM
Fri Sep 25 11:53:31 GMT 1998

You wrote:
| The only problem is that smbclient -M frequently fails to find
| the client's host name. The -I parameter will often fix it, but
| I am concerned about the -M problem nonetheless. I have a machine
| configured to be a WINS server, and all of the lab machines
| are DHCP-configured to use that server.

	Hmmn: I'd look at wins ttl, actually.  I suspect that
	the DHCP IP-address leases are timing out in 2 hours
	and the WINS name-address mappinga are timing out
	in three days...
	That means if they're not sucessfully replaced when the
	pc boots and tries to claim its name, that you will
	get a mismatch.

	This can be confirmed/denied by going through a list of
	all the names calling nmblookup for each name.  For
	example, ``nmblookup elsbeth'' should give you
	``129.155.8.39 elsbeth<00>''.  If the address doesn't
	match the name, you've found the problem.

--dave
--
David Collier-Brown,  | Cherish your enemies.  They're harder to
185 Ellerslie Ave.,   | come by than friends and more motivated.