Printer banner always 'nobody'

Michael Page michael.page at exemplar.com
Fri Sep 18 23:18:43 GMT 1998

I've had this problem as long as I've been using samba: every time
anyone prints from a PC they get a banner page labeling them 'nobody.'

Now, I realize this has to do with the guest account being 'nobody,' and
the server is passing that name to the printer.  It can get very
frustrating, though, when lots of folks use the same printer and all of
the jobs have the same name on them.

So I guess my question would be, is there a way to print using the
username instead of the guest account?

I'm using v1.9.16p9 on a Solaris 2.4 machine printing to HP Laserjet
4m+.