AW: HELP : Samba is very slow

Rudolf Kollien Rudolf.Kollien at medas.de
Wed Sep 9 16:34:05 GMT 1998

We got the same problem with a application based on access. I've got no
campare to a nativ NT system, so i cannot say if samba is slower than NT.
But i think, it is not a problem of samba itself. Access is not a network
database. So if the application requests a record or dataset, the hole
table(s) of the database is copied over the network to the client (which
does the final selection). As your data grows up the application slowes
down. If you have the sources for your application i intend to switch to a
real network database. We now use ADABAS D for Linux
(http://www.adabas.com). The applications (including Excel/Word/VB/VC etc)
can be switched easily to this database. And the perfomance is great.

Hope this helps

Rudolf Kollien
email: Rudolf.Kollien at medas.de
           Rudolf.Kollien at kollien.de
Never trust a operating system you have no sources for