How much memory is needed?

David Collier-Brown davecb at Canada.Sun.COM
Sun Sep 6 20:42:49 GMT 1998

You wrote:
| F   UID   PID  PPID PRI NI SIZE RSS  WCHAN   STAT   TTY    TIME CMD
| 0     0    81    44   1  0  139  672 12db2f     S     ?    0:02 nmbd
| 0     0    97    44   1  0  389 1160 12db2f     S     ?    0:01 smbd
|
| Does the value in the RSS column indicate that every client
| connected to the samba server needs about 1 MB of RAM? And if so,
|  would a server with 16MB RAM and 20 clients swap a lot (maybe so much
|  that the clients lose the connection)?

	No, especially if it's Solaris (;-))

	All Unixes try to keep just one copy of the executable
	code in memory, and only need to allocate real memory for
	data when you start an additional copy of the program.

	Machines with shared libraries do even better: while many
	programs may use a library, only one copy of  it's code
	is present.

	This makes RSS a very bad estimator: it's more like the
	**worst possible case**.  I use RSS-(size of program +
	size of all shared libs used) as my estimator for the second
	and subsequent copies.

--dave
--
David Collier-Brown,  | Cherish your enemies.  They're harder to
185 Ellerslie Ave.,   | come by than friends and more motivated.