Linux in NT domain (long)

Florian G. Pflug fgp at fgp.priv.at
Fri Oct 30 12:10:54 GMT 1998

> First, I would like my users who have already logged onto the NT domain not
> to have to log on again to the Linux box (Samba server).  I think I'd be OK
> with it as long as they didn't have to set up new Linux user accounts.
this can be done using
security = user
password server = <NETBIOS-Name of the PDC>
wins server = <ip-adress or fqdn of the pdc>

> Secondly I'm concerned about security.  I'm worried that if I set up
> "shares" to the Linux box, that a savvy user would be able to see the
> "shares" on the NT network as well.
Shares are there to be seen, and to be connected to....
If you don't want the linux-samba-server to be "seen" when browsing the
network,  you can stimply only start smbd, not nmbd

> It seems to me that I'd need to either 1) assign a second IP or 2) get
> another network card for the Linux box since the 207.78.X.X IP won't be
> seen on the network anyway.

                                                 Greetings, Florian Pflug