More on bad password

Leo Crombach lcrombach at tropel.com
Thu Oct 29 19:39:52 GMT 1998

Samba Masters:

My original post stated the following:

I just upgraded from samba-1.9.15p8 to samba-1.9.18p8 on one of our Sun
boxes (Solaris 2.5.1).  When I try to connect to the samba server from
another machine with smbclient I get the following error message:

  smbclient -L odin
Added interface ip=192.10.11.32 bcast=192.10.11.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Server time is Wed Oct 28 15:17:47 1998
Timezone is UTC-5.0
Password:
Session setup failed for username=ABC myname=BIGSERVER destname=NEWSERVER
ERRSRV - ER
Rbadpw (Bad password - name/password pair in a Tree Connect or Session
Setup are
 invalid.)
You might find the -U, -W or -n options useful
Sometimes you have to use `-n USERNAME' (particularly with OS/2)
Some servers also insist on uppercase-only passwords

As you can see, it is complaining about the name/password pair: why?  We
are not using shadow passwords so I did not compile it in.  We do run NIS.
I can use net use or net view from a Windows client to successfully connect
to the machine.  There are no entries in smb.conf that I am aware of that
would cause a problem.  Security is set to user.

Update:

I haven't received any replies yet; however, I have discovered that the
guest account (pcguest) can access the server without a problem from either
another samba server (smbclient -L odin -U pcguest) or a PC client.  This
account has a null password.  Also, I searched the archives and found many
references to this problem but no solutions.  So in short, the guest
account with a null password can access the server but a valid user account
with a password cannot.  This machine worked fine with 1.9.15p8.

Help!