Question on force user & log messages

Robert Dahlem Robert.Dahlem at frankfurt.netsurf.de
Wed Oct 28 22:02:35 GMT 1998

Elizabeth,

On Thu, 29 Oct 1998 08:24:26 +1100, Elizabeth Ewing wrote:

>I am running samba on HP-UX 10.20 with clients on Win95.
>I have two questions.
>
>Where can I get more information on the force user parameter?
>I am using it but am unable to get it to properly prompt for
>a password when mapping it.

"force user" does not force a specific user to login but forces Samba to behave
like being this user when using the share.

Example:
    force user = robert
    valid user = liz

The only one who can connect to this share is the user "liz", but when your create
files on this share, they will get the owner "robert".

>Next question deals with log messages in log.nmb.  Where are these
>two messages coming from and how do I get rid of them?
>--IP address changed to XXX.XX.XX.XX
>
>process_name_registration_request: unicast name registration request received for
name 2103DH
><00> from IP XXX.XX.XX.XX on subnet UNICAST_SUBNET. Error - should be sent to
WINS server
>process_name_refresh_request: unicast name registration request received for name
2103DH<03>
>from IP XXX.XX.XX.XX on subnet UNICAST_SUBNET. Error - should be sent to WINS
server

Stop XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX thinking the samba machine were the WINS server or stop Samba
thinking there were another WINS server on your net.

Hasta la vista,
               Robert

Robert.Dahlem at frankfurt.netsurf.de
Radio Bornheim - 2:2461/332 at fidonet +49-69-4930830  (ZyX, V34)
                 2:2461/326 at fidonet +49-69-94414444 (ISDN X.75)