Bad password

Leo Crombach lcrombach at tropel.com
Wed Oct 28 21:18:44 GMT 1998

Samba Gurus:

I just upgraded from samba-1.9.15p8 to samba-1.9.18p8 on one of our Sun
boxes (Solaris 2.5.1).  When I try to connect to the samba server from
another machine with smbclient I get the following error message:

  smbclient -L odin
Added interface ip=192.10.11.32 bcast=192.10.11.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Server time is Wed Oct 28 15:17:47 1998
Timezone is UTC-5.0
Password:
Session setup failed for username=ABC myname=BIGSERVER destname=NEWSERVER
ERRSRV - ER
Rbadpw (Bad password - name/password pair in a Tree Connect or Session
Setup are
 invalid.)
You might find the -U, -W or -n options useful
Sometimes you have to use `-n USERNAME' (particularly with OS/2)
Some servers also insist on uppercase-only passwords

As you can see, it is complaining about the name/password pair: why?  We
are not using shadow passwords so I did not compile it in.  We do run NIS.
I can use net use or net view from a Windows client to successfully connect
to the machine.  There are no entries in smb.conf that I am aware of that
would cause a problem.  Security is set to user.  Below are the key
segments of the smb.conf file and the Makefile.

smb.conf:

[global]

   nis homedir = true

# workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
   workgroup = pcnet

  guest account = pcguest

# Security mode. Most people will want user level security. See

# security_level.txt for details.

   security = user

# Password Level allows matching of _n_ characters of the password for

# all combinations of upper and lower case.

  password level = 8

# You may wish to use password encryption. Please read

# ENCRYPTION.txt, Win95.txt and WinNT.txt in the Samba documentation.

# Do not enable this option unless you have read those documents

;  encrypt passwords = yes

# Case Preservation can be handy - system default is _no_

# NOTE: These can be set on a per share basis

  preserve case = yes

  short preserve case = no

# Default case is normally upper case for all DOS files

;  default case = lower

# Be very careful with case sensitivity - it can break things!

;  case sensitive = no

#============================ Share Definitions ==============================

Makefile:

# This is for SUNOS5.4 and later (also known as Solaris 2.4 and later)
# contributed by Andrew.Tridgell at anu.edu.au
FLAGSM = -DSUNOS5 -DNETGROUP -DFAST_SHARE_MODES -DAUTOMOUNT
LIBSM = -lsocket -lnsl
AWK = nawk

I've installed samba successfully on many of our Sun boxes and this is the
first time I've encountered this problem.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

Leo Crombach			System / Network Administrator
Tropel Corporation		Phone: (716) 388-3566
60 O'Connor Road		Email: lcrombach at tropel.com
Fairport, New York 14450	URL: http://www.tropel.com