smbtar question?

Paul L. Lussier plussier at BayNetworks.COM
Thu Oct 22 17:58:52 GMT 1998

In a message dated: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 08:18:23 PDT
J RGEN ANZER said:

>fine idea...

Thanks, I though so :)

> I assume the easiest way to accomplish this would be to use smbtar.
>
>mmmh...
>- install Samba

Did that a long time ago :)

>- get Samba working (read smb.conf man page)

Been working for a long time

>- connect to Samba from your M$-box(es)
>- copy the files to Samba

I though (smb)tar would be faster than copy.  (how much processing power
does that damn piece of paper floating through the air between folders
take anyway :)

>Hope this helps

Well, this was my initial thought, then I remembered smbtar, and figured it
might be faster.

Is smbtar not a good thing to use, or just unreliable/unsupported?

Thanks,
--

Seeya,
Paul
plussier at baynetworks.com
Broadband Technology Division - Bay Networks (now a Nortel Company, Eh! :)