SAMBA digest 1850 (DNS name and netbios name differ)

Foster Jeffrey C jfoste at wgc.woodward.com
Wed Oct 21 15:54:29 GMT 1998

The default setting for Win95 are to do DNS before WINS.  You can try to change
this order to see if this fixes the problem.  I clipped the following from the
Technet article - Q139270.  It would be easier to disable DNS on a Win95 client
to see if the name resolution order is causing your problem; then do all this
happy stuff...

------------------------------------ cut ------------------------------------

The following registry entries control name resolution order for Windows NT
version 3.5x and Windows 95:

   DnsPriority
   LocalPriority
   HostsPriority
   NetbtPriority

Each value is a DWORD between -32768 and 32767, specified in hexadecimal
notation. The lower the value, the higher the priority in the search order.
You can use existing values by rearranging them in a needed order. (Use
scientific calculator, for example, to compare hexadecimal numbers).
Deleting an entry disables the corresponding resolution method.

Windows 95
----------

In order to set priorities in Windows 95, you must create new keys and
values with the following steps:

1. Use regedit to open the following location:

      \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
       \System
        \CurrentControlSet
         \Services

2. Click on Edit, New, then Key to create a new key under Services and name
   it MSTCP.

3. Move to the new MSTCP key, and click on Edit, New, then Key to create a
   new key under MSTCP and name it ServiceProvider.

   The registry path should now look like this:

      \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
       \System
        \CurrentControlSet
         \Services
          \MSTCP
           \ServiceProvider

4. Move to the new ServiceProvider key, and click on Edit, New, then Binary
   Value to add the priority values noted above (DnsPriority,
   LocalPriority, HostsPriority, and NetbtPriority).

5. Set the priority values as needed.