DNS name and netbios name differ

Peter Stubbs ps258 at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 20 15:09:35 GMT 1998

Hi All,

I'm having some problems getting Win'9X to connect to an NT share when
the netbios name for the NT server is different from the DNS name, and
the win'9x machine is using the DNS name. NT workstation is happy with
doing this, but '9X isn't.

The strange thing is that it works fine when '9X connects to a samba
server that is similarly configured. If I understood why it's OK with
samba, I might begin to understand what's wrong with the NT connection.

Sorry about being a bit off topic, but someone must have solved this
problem to make samba work so well, and I'm running out of other
options.

TIA,
Peter