restores of Samba/Amanda backups? HEEEEEEEELPP!

Ernie Oporto ernie_oporto at mentorg.com
Mon Oct 19 23:14:16 GMT 1998

When restoring files from tape that were backed up with AMANDA (2.3.0.5) and
Samba (1.9.18p8) how is smbtar supposed to be used?

I've restored to file, and tried tar and gtar and get error messages:

salamanda:/tmp#>tar tvf restored.tar
tar: directory checksum error
salamanda:/tmp#>gtar tvf restored.tar
gtar: Hmm, this doesn't look like a tar archive.
gtar: Skipping to next file header...
salamanda:/tmp#>gtar --version
GNU tar version 1.11.2

when using smbtar, which is supposed to be capable of restoring, I keep
getting all sorts of error messages about usernames and passwords.  All I
want is to get these files out of the tar archive, but I'm afraid something
is seriously wrong with the archives I'm making.  Daily backups indicate a
good amount of data being backed up from client PCs.  I would hate to think
it's all messed up somehow.

-Ernie

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Park/9276
   _____/           ____         /        / Ernie "Shokk" Oporto-SysAdmin