How to: users print with their username, guests with guest account

Wim Pool pool at nioz.nl
Mon Oct 19 14:25:25 GMT 1998

Hi all,

In our setup we would like that all users with a valid account use
their username to print, while users with no account use the guest
account. How can we do that.

If we use:
[printers]
..
..
public = yes
guest account = nobody
..
..

then all users are printing on the guest account.

On the other hand, if we use
[printers]
..
..
public = no
valid users = .....,DummyAccount
write list = .....,DummyAccount
..
..

then somebody that does not have an account on our network, can
print only if he/she logs in on win95/98 with username
DummyAccount.

In short:
Can anybody tell me why Samba changes the UID of any user to
nobody if public=yes, even if the account itself is valid?

I could think of an implemantation where first the usernams is
checked. If valid than that username can be used, if not valid than
the guest account is used.

Why is this not done and are there ways to come around this??

Wim Pool
Netherlands Institute for Sea Research (NIOZ)
Marine Biogeochemistry and Toxicology
Postbus 59 1790 AB Den Burg
Lansdiep 4 1797 SZ Den Hoorn
The Netherlands