BIG Problems with compiling DELPHI projects on SAMBA shares

Tomek Jarosinski tomek at is.fh-hamburg.de
Mon Oct 19 02:57:04 GMT 1998

Hello,
we have a problem here. We are using Samba 1918p10 on Solaris 2.5.1 on
Sun servers and Solarisx86 on pc servers with many, many NT 4.0/sp3
clients. Working great with different applications (Office, SPSS, and
many others), now we installed Delphi 3.0, and if students are trying to
compile Delphi projects on samba home share we have big problems.
Compiling and working on local disk or Novell shares are working fine,
but using samba share as home directory for Delphi projects just doesn't
work. Delphi is not able to rename files updating a project, actually
Delphi is trying to rename first some files, and then create new files
with the same names. When i turned share modes = no, i can update *.exe
files, but all source files are just locked. I turned locking = no for
the homes share, but it doesn't help.
homes are defined like this:
[homes]
comment = HOMES