smbtar: ERRDOS - 50 setting attributes on file <directory-name>

Giulio giuliox at tin.it
Thu Oct 15 18:19:37 GMT 1998

Samba 1.9.18p8 / Linux 2.0.33

I've got a problem restoring a tar archive, with subdirs inside, using smbtar from the Linux server to a win95 pc.
I made the tar with smbtar.

When restoring to a win95, the subdirs are not restored ('aaaaa' is a directory):
  restore tar file \badday.mpeg of size 425988 bytes
  Updating creation date on \aaaaa\
  ERRDOS - 50 setting attributes on file \\aaaaa\
  Could not set time on file: \\aaaaa\

restoring the same tar with the same command, but on another Linux/samba box is ok:
  restore tar file \badday.mpeg of size 425988 bytes
  Updating creation date on \aaaaa\
  restore tar file \aaaaa\vncviewer.exe of size 176128 bytes
  total of 7 tar files restored to share

Is this a bug in then smbclient or in win95? Or it is me :)?

Thanks.
Giulio.