win98 vs win95 with TCP/IP

David Collier-Brown davecb at Canada.Sun.COM
Sat Oct 10 19:03:05 GMT 1998

You wrote:
I have been disappointed that I can't use Linux+Samba as an
alternative to a Win9x or NT server for our GP medical practice.
The software we need runs in win9x.
We crave stability.  But Linux+Samba is just much slower as a file
server.

	It's normally quite fast: are you running over a
	dial-up network, requiring you to adust MTU's for
	speed???

	If not, try ``socket options = TCP_NODELAY'', which
	adapts server TCPs to a MS feature (:-)) and produces considerable
	speed increases...
--dave
Willowdale, Ontario   | davecb at hobbes.ss.org, canada.sun.com
N2M 1Y3. 416-223-8968 | http://java.science.yorku.ca/~davecb