win98 vs win95 with TCP/IP

Dr Hugh Nelson hugh.nelson at mail.ausinfo.com.au
Sat Oct 10 07:23:29 GMT 1998

I have been disappointed that I can't use Linux+Samba as an
alternative to a Win9x or NT server for our GP medical practice.
The software we need runs in win9x.
We crave stability.  But Linux+Samba is just much slower as a file
server.

I understand that win95 tcp/ip is part of the problem, and it is
possible to get MTU-Speed to tweak it,   but it just adds to the
complexity, and as my patients say "I am just a GP".

I notice that when you do a bare install of Win98, that the
networking defaults to TCP/IP.
Is it possible that Win98 does TCP/IP properly and might be faster
than win95 as a tcp/ip workstation client??

Grateful for any feedback.

cheers,

Hugh Nelson.
Dr Hugh Nelson <hugh.nelson at ausinfo.com.au>
3 Sir John Overall Dr, Helensvale, QLD 4210, Australia Ph:+61 7 5573 2122
You should use PGP to send and receive encrypted email.  To get set up,
and to get my PGP encryption key, go to http://www.gpnetwork.net.au
I like Pegasus Email with integrated PGP - check out
http://community.wow.net/grt/qdpgp.html