Installing shared Windoze executables on a Samba share (fwd)

Craig Fischer CraigF at visio.com
Thu Oct 8 18:43:01 GMT 1998

Visio's install program use the GetVolumnInformation() API  to check for
long filename support.  The docs say that if the value 255 is returned, then
the (FAT/NTFS) file system supports long filenames.  For various reasons, it
actually checks for this return value to be >= 240 in order for there to be
long filename support.

Samba has a hard-coded return value of 128 (see trans2.c, somewhere around
line 1100), thus the failure.  I suppose you could change this value to 240
and recompile Samba, but I really wouldn't recommend that since it would
probably cause other catastrophic problems.

...Craig...

(Opinions expressed are my own.)