Installing shared Windoze executables on a Samba share (fwd)

Nathan E Norman finn at midco.net
Thu Oct 8 01:45:03 GMT 1998

Hi,

I've got a Samba server here that runs great!  I've got an NT machine on
my laptop and I can interface with the Samba server directly in any way
I want, except for one thing:

When I try to install a program (Visio) as a network shared app, the
installation always tells me "I've determined that the target drive
doesn't support long file names" after I choose to install to the Samba
share.  This is obviously ubll, but how do I convince the install?

I've tried fiddling around with "mangled names", "preserve case", "short
preserve case", etc. (I've read the manpage and looked in the
/usr/doc/examples directory for some clues ...)

Any ideas?  I notice that the Samba share has "Filesystem: Samba" when I
look at its properties in Explorer ... do I need to change that?

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD