multiple interfaces and wins

Knut Petter Svendsen knutpett at stud.ntnu.no
Tue Oct 6 21:47:34 GMT 1998

We got a huge network with 20000 users and 800 clients. We are running 4
(freebsd) servers with samba 1.9.18p8. Each are configured with two
virtual interfaces. Two smbd processes are started with different smb.conf
files:

[global]
        socket address = 129.241.56.96
        netbios name = SAMBASTUD1
        workgroup = NTNU-S
        wins server = 129.241.183.17
	security = server
	password server = xx yy

[global]
        socket address = 129.241.56.92
        log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.smb_klar
        netbios name = SAMBAKLAR1
        workgroup = NTNU-S
        wins server = 129.241.183.17
	security =  user

The question is: How do I make nmbd register the two interfaces with two
different wins names? (It seems not possible to start to nmbd processes)
(i.e i want 129.241.56.92 to be registred in wins as SAMBAKLAR1 and
129.241.56.96 as SAMBASTUD1)

I though this was the whole point with the "socket address" in samba? I'm
i missing something?

--
Knut Petter Svendsen
knutpett at stud.ntnu.no