SAMBA AND NT SP3

Anthony Ord samba at rollingthunder.demon.co.uk
Tue Oct 6 17:09:41 GMT 1998

On Mon, 5 Oct 1998 22:14:56 +1000, Shaun Lennox
<shaun at countyfair.co.za> wrote:

>Hi Andrew
>
>I'm not sure if this will help you any but I have found that any NT WS /
>Server with a Service Pack 3 installed. The samba shares report a error
>"user not allowed to login from this station" error (or close to that).
>
>Win 95 / 311 and NT WS (sp1) are all ok.

When you use service pack 3 it turns off unencrypted passwords (NT4)

When you install one of the Win95 updates (vrdrupd.exe it think) it
also turns off unencrypted passwords.

Solutions are identical. Either...
1. Enable encryption in samba
Or...
2. Use registry to turn unencrypted passwords back on

>Shaun Lennox                Tel : 27-83-270-5132
>P.O. Box 94                  Fax : 27-21-54-6605
>Eppindust                 mailto:shaun at countyfair.co.za
>South Africa,7475
>     System Administrator (AIX) County Fair Foods

Regards

Anthony