problem with win98 and passwords

Jim Rainville rain at monitor.net
Mon Oct 5 04:37:14 GMT 1998

Here's the problem:
I have a server that I have been using for over a year as a modem server, file server and print server. It's running Redhat 5.0 and Samba 1.9.18p5. Let's call this server server 1.
Now I'm trying to set up a second server for a friend. This one has Redhat 5.1 and Samba 1.9.18p7. I have successfully set this server up as a modem server. Let's call this one server 2.
I have several win98 and NT machines networked to these servers (BTW - I've
enabled plain text passwords in all of them). After tweaking the smb.conf file on server 2 I was able to get server 2 to
show up in Network Neighborhood in the client machines. When I click on the icon of server 2 I get a dialog coming up that asks for a password. No matter what password I give it I get an error. (one other clue maybe, when
it asks for a password the dialog says resource: \\BIGDOG\IPC$ - BIGDOG is the name of the server). I created a user on server 2 that has the same user name and password that I'm logged into the client on and I get the same behavior. In frustration I copied the smb.conf from server 1 to server 2 and
just changed a few things for shares and such. No help. The output from testparm smb.conf is basically identical on both machines.
So, from the same client, with the same smb.conf running on both servers I can browse server 1 but not server 2. What has changed in samba to cause this and how do I get around it?

Thanks,

Jim