Serius cross-subnet browsing question

Florian G. Pflug fgp at fgp.priv.at
Sun Oct 4 11:08:54 GMT 1998

Hi

I already sent this message, but I got a VERY weird response.. something
about jeremy at samba.anu.edu.au not having a valid shell to forward mail to
programs.... well, I not sure if the first copy ever reached the
mailing-list, so I am sending it again...

> I've been having troubles getting cross subnet browsing working in
> existance with a WinNT domain master (hey, it's not my machine).
> Basically what is happening is that I am trying to setup a VPN (which
> shouldn't complicate things) that browsing will work across. The idea is
> this:
>
> There is an office in my local city that I'm connecting San Francisco to
> via VPN. The TCP/IP part is working great, no problems there. I am
> running Samba on the routers.The network diagram looks roughly like
> this:
>
> Santa Rosa (Local City):          DMB
>                                                         /
>     Win95        Win95        WinNT4.0        Router1 + Samba (WINS)
>            |                    |
> |                        |
>             ----------------------+
>

> ((Internet))
>

>           -----------------------+
>           |                     |
> |                           |
>        Win95        Win95        Win95               Router2 + Samba
>

> Router1 is acting as a WINS server, and Router2 should be sending its
> browse list to Router1. The Domain Master Browser (WinNT4.0) should be
> acting as the master browser for both subnets. The WINS server should
> add all of Router2's subnet to it's list. All clients are configured to
> use Router1 as it's WINS server. This is all very hard to explain, but
> it must be possible. Ok. So... What doesn't work about it is this:
>
> 1)    Router1's subnet cannot see any machines on Router2's in Network
> Neighborhood (Including Router2), but all machines are accessible if
> I do a 'find computer' on any Win machine. They simply are not showing
> up in Network Neighborhood.
> 2)    From Router2's side, I can see every machine on Router1's subnet
> perfectly and they are all accessible, but I can not see Router2 which
> is on the same network.
>
> This leads me to believe that it is Router2 that is misconfigured. I
> have tried configuring it differently a lot, and have bought the
> Samba: Integrating UNIX and Windows book to help me with this. (By the
> way, GREAT book). I still am having these troubles after following these
> examples. I'm desperate.
>
> Here are my configuration files:
> * Router1's smb.conf *
>
> workgroup = LaserVue
> server string = "Private VPN"
> hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.2. 172.16.1.2 172.16.1.1 127.
> guest account = nobody
> log file = /var/log/samba
> max log size = 50
> security = share
> socket options = TCP_NODELAY
> interfaces = 192.168.1.1/24 172.16.1.1/24
> local master = no
> os level = 13
> domain master = no
> preferred master = no
> wins support = yes
> wins proxy = yes
> dns proxy = yes
> read prediction = yes
> [...]

Ok.. do you need samba running on both of the routers.. if you just want
cross-subnet browsing, ist should be possibe by just
.)letting the nt-server be wins-server, and "domain master" and "local
master" on his subnet
.)installing samba on the router in the "other" subnet, and let it be "local
master" on his subnet. Let EVERY computer use the nt-server as a wins
server.

This should also work with router1 being the wins server, and nt being the
domain and master browser.. but maybe nt has problems with this setup...

A second way I can think of, is to make router 1 the domain master and local
master for his subnet, and router2 the local master for his subnet (NOT the
domain master), and set router2 to "remote browse sync" with router1.
In this setup router1 should also be wins-server.. you have to try this.

                                                      mfg, fgp