smb.conf: dont descend does not work

Alois Treindl suseadm at astro.ch
Sun Oct 4 20:33:15 GMT 1998

I run Samba 1.9.18p8 on Suse Linux 5.3

I export the / (root directory) via Samba to some NT workstations.

I have some NFS directoriesfrom HPUX hosts  automounted to
/misc and /nfs on this Linux machine.

I do **not** want those directories be re-exported by Samba.

I have put the parameter
dont descend = /nfs,/misc,/proc,/dev
into smb.conf.

I tried many variant, putting it in the global are or in the [root_dir]
are, writing it with commas or with blanks (manpage contradicts
tridge examples here), and writing it with leading ./ or /

the result is always the same: When I access the linux / from an
NT machine, I can descend into the NFS-mounts, into /proc and /dev.
It looks like the 'dont descend' is totally ignored by the smbd daemon.

The testparm utility shows the 'dont descend' paramater as I write it into
smb.conf.

I have always stopped smbd and restarted it after making changes to smb.conf.

WHAT COULD THE REASON FOR THE WRONG BEHAVIOUR BE????