file names in Win Explorer

Christopher J. Kaiser ckaiser at kaiser.agri.missouri.edu
Fri Oct 2 21:46:32 GMT 1998

Mac wrote:

> Prof Kaiser,
>
> >I'm having a problem getting W95 and WNT to correctly read file names on
> >a samba server I set up.  The server passed all of the diagnostics, and
> >file names show up correctly in a dos window.  However, under windows
> >explorer, anything after a . doesn't show up in the name.  This is only
> >true for a . in the middle of the name, "hidden" files such as .fvwmrc
> >show up.  WE does describe the file according to what it considers the
> >extension, for example the listing for netscape.ps shows up as:
> >netscape   a PS file.
>
> This is standard Windows Explorer behaviour.
>
> In 'View|Options' there is an option 'Hide MS-DOS file extensions for
> file types that are registered'
>
> Turn that off, and it'll all be fine.

Ok that one was easy.  However, it was completely unrelated to below.
(unfortunately for me)

> >I can save files and have them show up in the WE directory listing, but
> >I can't move or delete them after that.  I can, however, from smbclient
> >or a dos window.
>
> Hmmm.  That puzzles me.
>
> >Moreover, if I select a file and try to open it into a word processor, I
> >get an error message about the file or share not existing on the
> >machine.  If I double click on the name, the file is opened.
>
> Weireder still.
>
> >It looks to me like I've set up the windows client incorrectly, but
> >going by the examples I've seen, I'm not sure how.
>
> Me either.  Could be an odd security problem, perhaps UNIX direcrtory
> permissions?  Not really sure.

I checked the permissions, I haven't restricted them beyond the default
UNIX ones.  While testing, I set the file and directory permissions to
777, and that didn't make any difference.  At one point I ws able to
rename some files in the WE window, but the window didn't refresh to
reflect that.  If I did any file opertions in a DOS window I had opened
at the same time, the WE window would refresh. As you said it seems
weird to me.

> >I have case preservation and name mangling on in my smb.conf file.
>
> and 'short preserve case'?

Here's what I have in my smb.conf file:
[global]

   workgroup = ASRC W1
   server string = Samba Server
   hosts allow = "building subnet ip" 127.
   security = user
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY
   local master = yes
   os level = 33
   domain master = yes
   preferred master = yes
   domain logons = yes
   wins server = "campus server"
   dns proxy = no
  preserve case = yes
  short preserve case = yes
  case sensitive = yes
   share modes = yes

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes
   read only = no
   preserve case = yes
   short preserve case = yes
   path = /home/%U

 [netlogon]
   comment = Network Logon Service
   path = /home/netlogon
   guest ok = yes
   writable = no
   share modes = no

[tmp]
   comment = Temporary file space
   path = /tmp
   read only = no
   public = yes

I'm running 1.9.18p10.

If anyone sees something I'm missing please let me know.

I'm going to try this on my notebook and home computer over the
weekend.  Hopefully, things will behave differently there, and I can
compare to see why.  If not I'll be back.

Christopher J. Kaiser
Assistant Professor
Animal Sciences Unit
University of Missouri