Re-How to enable domain logon from NT workstation

Andrew Logan aml at bsl.co.uk
Fri Oct 2 14:55:50 GMT 1998

Hi,

This is really a follow on from Sandie's (shui at pointsnoth.com)
problem of using samba to act as a domain logon server for NT
Workstation 4.
I have tried using samba2alpha8 (on Linux 2.0) and have failed to
get the domain logon working from NT Workstation although Windows98
worked fine. I followed the instructions in Samba NT Domain FAQ
apart from the use of encrypted passwords which I don't want to use.
Yes, I've enabled plain text passwords on the NT Workstation and
added an entry into smbpasswd and /etc/passwd on the server.
When I tried to change the domain on the workstation to PDC (the
workgroup/domain of the samba server) the following entry appeared
in log.nmb:

[1998/10/01 11:49:24,1 ]
nmbd/nmbd_processlogon.c:process_logon_packet(69)
 process_logon_packet: Logon from 10.15.1.12: code 7

And the workstation complained that there was a problem with the
account - so I did't even get past first base with this.

When windows98 logs in successfully the message in log.nmb is:

nmbd/nmbd_processlogon.c:process_logon_packet(69)
 process_logon_packet: Logon from 10.15.1.12: code 0

I would dearly like to get this working as the alternative is bad ,
REAL bad - NT Server :-((((((((((((((((
Doing the authentication on Unix will keep things much simpler for
me.

So solving this would keep this an NT-Server free zone.

Thanks for any help

Andy Logan
Systems Programmer
aml at bsl.co.uk