inetd and Solaris

Paul L. Lussier plussier at BayNetworks.COM
Thu Oct 1 17:10:41 GMT 1998

In a message dated: Fri, 02 Oct 1998 00:08:03 +1000
Peter Polkinghorne said:

>Should Solaris users be discouraged from using inetd to start smbd?
>BTW I am aware of the -r option to inetd.

I wouldn't do it just because of the problems you're experiencing.  Samba
is one of those daemons that a lot of people are likely to hit
simultaneously, and in great quantities. Why start many instances of smbd
and nmbd when only 1 of each will do.  Write a small startup script for it
in /etc/rc2.d and let it start at boot time.

Just my $.02

--

Seeya,
Paul
plussier at baynetworks.com
Broadband Technology Division - Bay Networks (now a Nortel Company, Eh! :)