HELP: How to enable domain logon from NT workstations

shui at pointsnorth.com shui at pointsnorth.com
Thu Oct 1 15:47:44 GMT 1998

Hello Folks,

I I'm in an urgent need to set up my Samba server to act as domain logon
server for NT workstation and it'd be grateful if anyone could offer advise
on how to do it.
I'm currently running SambaV1.9.18p8 on a Solaris 2.6 box.  I've set up
domain logon for all Windows 98 clients and everything works fine.
However, we've just installed a few PCs with Windows NT.  My questions are:

1. Can SambaV1.9.18p8 support domain logon for NT workstations?  If not,
which version has this function?  I browsed through the CVS archive and
there are so many versions out there and I don't know which one is stable
enought to use.

2.  The current configuration on smb.conf for Windows 98 domain logon does
not work for NT.  On the NT workstation, I can "net use" the directories
shared by Samba but I just can't logon using Samba password.  I read from
the FAQ saying that I need to add the NT workstation's machine name in the
smbpasswd in order for domain logon to work.  Is that a must?

2. Right now, I enable "passwd sync" on the samba server such that any
password change issued from Windows 98 will cause the samba and Unix
password to be changed.  Can I do the same thing on NT? i.e. Issuing a
network password change request on NT to change Samba and Unix password at
the same time?

I'm sure that a lot of people have already done the same thing to NT.
Please, any feedback or pointer is greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for your attention!

Sandie