CR/LF problem

Mark Griffiths mark.griffiths at greendown.demon.co.uk
Thu Oct 1 14:21:48 GMT 1998

In SAMBA digest 1829, Heiko Nardmann wrote:

<<<<<<<<<
> Our network mainly consists out of NT workstations.
> For a new project I now have set up a Linux Samba server
> with an account on it for every developer.
> The developers are accessing their accounts via Samba
> by assigning a drive letter to the net drive.
>
> Now there is one problem:
> while editing the Makefile for the project the MS editor
> uses LF/CR (0x0a/0x0d) for a newline while Unix just needs
> LF (0x0a).
> This results in problems with make which does not like those
> LF/CR combinations.
>
> So my question:
> is there any way to say "write newline unix-like"?
> Or (maybe) automagically start a script afterwards (which
> may result in a problem with the access time)?
> Or specify a list of files which get written unix-like?
>
> --
> Ciao ... Heiko Nardmann

	[Mark Griffiths]

	Have you tried using the Programmers File Editor (PFE)?

	This editor (FREEWARE, by the way) allows files to be written as
	either DOS or UNIX files.

	I advise you to download a copy of the editor from the following
	location and give it a try...

		http://www.lancs.ac.uk/people/cpaap/pfe/

	You may like it so much that you start using it in preference to

	the likes of NOTEPAD and WORDPAD on Windows...

	Hope this solves your problem.

	Mark Griffiths

	AXIOM (Europe) Ltd.