log files - cycling & summarising

Peter Polkinghorne Peter.Polkinghorne at brunel.ac.uk
Thu Oct 1 12:45:29 GMT 1998

Environment: Solaris 2.5.1 Samba 1.9.18p3

Although I have max log size set to 50k, the logs just keep growing.  This is
because check_log_size() in util.c, only checks the log file size every
hundredth message.  At our level of logging (deug level =1), most Samba
connections only log 2 messages - connect and close.  So the log files never
get rotated. (should I have sent this to samba-bugs or is this a feature?).

Now for our environemnt we would prefer to rotate logs files by time rather
than size.  A quick glance at Debug1() in util.c indicates that Samba only
opens the log file once.  I guess not too big a problem for smb, if file is
moved as part of the rotation process say once a week at a quiet time.

What do others do about log rotation?

Finally has anyone writen any log summary scripts?  If not I plan to write a
simple perl script.