corrupt files when writting to samba server

Nuno Grilo nmg at publico.publico.pt
Mon Nov 30 21:03:01 GMT 1998

On Mon, 30 Nov 1998, Herb Lewis wrote:

> Nuno Grilo wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> > I'm having some problems running samba 2.0beta2: when I try to write
> > files to the samba server aprox. 1/3 of the files get full of null
> > characters.
> > I'm using samba in Digital Unix 4.0d compiled with the native cc and the
> > samba server is registered in a NT domain controlled by a NT machine
> > (security=domain).
> >
> > Any ideas? Is this a known bug?
>

> Can you give more details on exactly what you are doing when this bug
> happens? How are you writting the files, file size, smb.conf settings,
> etc.

I am writing the files from an NT (WinNT server 4.0 sp4) machine using
windows explorer. The files are mostly small files (html and images).
I just noticed that in the system log of the NT machine lots of warning
messages appear saying "A write-behind operation has failed to the
remote server %2. The data contains the amount requested to write and the
amount actually written.

My smb.conf follows:

[global]
   workgroup = xxx
   server string = Samba Server
   load printers = yes
hosts allow = xxx.xxx.xxx.
   log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
   max log size = 50
   security = domain
   password server = xxxx
  encrypt passwords = yes
   local master = no
   os level = 0
   domain master = no
   preferred master = no
   wins support = yes
   dns proxy = no
username map = /usr/local/samba/lib/users.map
[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /usr/spool/samba
   browseable = no
# Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
   guest ok = no
   writable = no
   printable = yes
[htdocs]