Getting smbpasswd file to work alongside unencrypted ones

Dr R L Oswald R.L.Oswald at Cranfield.ac.uk
Mon Nov 30 17:38:05 GMT 1998

We operate a samba('18p10) server accessed by WIN3.11, 9x & NT4 clients,
security=share. Uptil now, the NT clients have been pre service pack 3 &
therefore sent cleartext passwords. Post-SP3 we need to enable encrypted
passwords for the NT clients whilst preserving cleartext for the rest. For
various (political) reasons, we cant' get the clients to use the registry
hack to re-enable cleartext passwords.

I have, as outlined in docs/ENCRYPTION.txt, to set up an smbpasswd file &
using debug I can see the server trying in turn, the different password
protocols in response to an NT client connect request, but ultimately
failing.

e.g.
Requested protocol [PC NETWORK PROGRAM 1.0]
Requested protocol [XENIX CORE]
Requested protocol [MICROSOFT NETWORKS 1.03]
Requested protocol [LANMAN1.0]
Requested protocol [Windows for Workgroups 3.1a]
Requested protocol [LM1.2X002]
Requested protocol [LANMAN2.1]
Requested protocol [NT LM 0.12]
Selected protocol NT LM 0.12
Domain=[STAFF]  NativeOS=[Windows NT 1381] NativeLanMan=[]
sesssetupX:name=[CEDRIC]
Registered username cedric for guest access
Chained message
switch message SMBtconX (pid 23846)
1998/11/27 14:38:17 invalid username/password for cedric
1998/11/27 14:38:17 error packet at line 171 cmd=117 (SMBtconX) eclass=2
ecode=2
1998/11/27 14:38:17 Transaction 4 of length 70
etc etc

If I restart the server with encrypt passwords = yes I *can* connect to the
share using the encrypted password contained in samba/private/smbpasswd.

Has anyone been able to get the smbpasswd file to operate alongside using
the cleartext UNIX passwords ?

Les Oswald

"The woods are lovely, dark & deep,
But I have promises to keep