SAMBA digest 1758 -- Win 98 passwords

Jennifer Woodward jenniwoo at sirius.com
Mon Nov 23 17:04:25 GMT 1998

Hi Ludolf,

It seems that digging out answers from the SAMBA digest is too tedious so I am
writing you directly.  I hope you can help.

Last July 25, you posted a very terse reply in SAMBA digest 1758.
> John D. Maag wrote:
> > I appreciate it. You have tried the NT 4.0 registry fix on 98 and it works
for sure?

> Well, I _was_ quite sure until I looked at the registry of the win98
> box...
>
> Of course, it was the win95 registry fix (..\VxD\VNETSUP) I used.

I have a tiny 2-system LAN, laptop-to-NeXT (4.3bsd under OpenStep4.2).  On the
laptop in one boot, my NT4 accesses files on my samba-unix box aok.  In
another boot, my Win98 shows "shared hosts" but when I try to actually look at
directories and file names, it prompts me for a password.  No known password
seems to work even though I use the same 1-2 on both machines.  I change
passwords (to the same) with the Win98 control-panel utility, and I still do
not get access to directories and files on the NeXT.

Any clues?  Is the problem in my Win98 registry as the above post suggests?
If so, how?  What do I change?

Is the problem with my samba.conf?  Copy below.

Thanks,

Jennifer Woodward, SF
------ samba.conf --------
[global]
   map archive = no
   printing = bsd
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = no
   guest account = nobody
   preserve case = yes
   read prediction = yes
   server string = next_cube %h
   workgroup = WORKGROUP
   short preserve case = yes
;  This next option sets a separate log file for each client. Remove
;  it if you want a combined log file.
   log file = /usr/local/samba/log.%m
   log level = 4

;  jw980728: trying to keep connection w client(s) up every nn seconds...
   keep alive = 60

;  You will need a world readable lock directory and "share modes=yes"
;  if you want to support the file sharing modes for multiple users
;  of the same files
  lock directory = /usr/local/samba/var/locks
  share modes = yes

[homes]
   comment = %s home
;   path = /Users
   browseable = no
   read only = no
;   create mode = 0750
   create mode = 644
;   security = user

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
;   load printers = yes
;   path = /usr/spool/NeXT
;   printer = Local_Printer
   browseable = no
   printable = yes
   public = no
   writable = no
   create mode = 0700

[LocalApps]
   comment = Applications on %h under development
   path = /LocalDeveloper
   valid users = jenniwoo administrator
   public = yes
   writable = yes