lots of getdirentries calls?

Rob Naccarato rob.naccarato at sheridanc.on.ca
Mon Nov 23 14:41:49 GMT 1998

I've been observing some smbds via a system call trace and I've found that
it frequently makes calls to getdirentries().  I figured that this might
not really be a bad thing if the client, for example, keeps running DIR,
or something.

I've also noticed that frequent calls to getdirentries() ocurr when smbd
needs to resolve filenames that are of a different case than what the client
asked for.  This makes sense, I guess.

But what I really don't understand is that this syscall occurs a number of
times in the netlogon share.  In and around running the Win95 logon
script, smbd tends to keep re-reading the dir.  Doesn't Samba cache dir
entries?

This is a DEC Unix 4.0D machine.

Thanks.

Rob Naccarato           "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages
Sys Admin               because they know they can be impolite without
Sheridan College        having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Oakville, Ont. Canada                      - Robert E. Howard