Small linux print server

motec - Andrew Dennison andrew.dennison at motec.com.au
Mon Nov 23 03:12:01 GMT 1998

This is a bit off topic, however it's related to a samba based network...

I've got a small network (10 users) running samba on a Linux box with a HP
network printer. This is working so well, that the only network problems
that I have are with printers other printers "shared" by Win 95. Therefore:

I was planning to turn an old 486 with an 80M HDD into a print server,
however the minimum redhat installation is 86MB!! Does anyone know of a
small distribution to achieve this? The printer would be accessed via the
main samba server, therefore it needs just enough to emulate an ethernet to
parallel printer box.

Regards,

Andrew Dennison
Engineering Manager - MoTeC Australia