Write only permissions?

Urban Nilsson urban at oops.se
Tue Nov 17 15:19:01 GMT 1998

I have somehow managed to set SAMBA up so that I can't read my shares
(none of them). I can browse them and write files to them, but I can't
open them! There is also another user on the network, for which the
Samba shares behaves in the exact same way. I would have thought that
this behaviour was impossible to get!

Thank you for your time!

My smb.conf:
[global]

# workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
   workgroup = KINGDOM
   map archive = no
   map hidden = no
   map system = no
   valid users = urban svante
   server string = OOPS Samba Server

   hosts allow = 193.180.255. 127.

   load printers = yes

   log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
   max log size = 50

   security = user
   password level = 8
   encrypt passwords = no

# Windows Internet Name Serving Support Section:
# WINS Support - Tells the NMBD component of Samba to enable it's
# WINS Server
   wins support = yes

# WINS Server - Tells the NMBD components of Samba to be a WINS Client
#       Note: Samba can be either a WINS Server, or a WINS Client, but
# NOT both
;   wins server = 193.180.255.130

# WINS Proxy - Tells Samba to answer name resolution queries on
# behalf of a non WINS capable client, for this to work there must be
# at least one  WINS Server on the network. The default is NO.
;   wins proxy = yes

# DNS Proxy - tells Samba whether or not to try to resolve NetBIOS names
# via DNS nslookups. The built-in default for versions 1.9.17 is yes,
# this has been changed in version 1.9.18 to no.
   dns proxy = no

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes

# NOTE: If you have a BSD-style print system there is no need to
# specifically define each individual printer
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /usr/spool/lpd
   print command = lpr %s
   browseable = no
# Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
   guest ok = yes
   writable = no
   printable = yes

# This one is useful for people to share files
[tmp]
   comment = Temporary file space
   path = /tmp
   read only = no
   force create mode = 0755
   public = yes

[IPC$]
   public = yes
   path = /tmp

# Next standards
[NextLibrary]
   comment = Installed NextLibrary
   path = /NextLibrary
   read only = yes
   public = yes

--
http://3249864688/~urban/
[Heard on answering machine: "Hi. I'm probably home, I'm just avoiding]