Strange behaviour with domain login

Martin Geigl geigl at physik.uni-greifswald.de
Mon Nov 16 16:15:38 GMT 1998

Hi there,

I have Samba 1.9.18p18 installed on Linux (S.u.S.E. 5.3). It
is configured to act as a domain controler for the Windoze
machines.

One of my users, which can login from his Win95 (plain text
password) without problems, wants to change his password
from the Control Panel. But every time when he logs out
after changing his password and re-logs in, the new password
is refused by the server. Instead he has to use his old
password.

I looked at the smbpasswd file. It changes, when the user
changes his password, but during the login it changes again!
It seems to me that Windoze has the old password in its
cache and changes the smbpasswd file according to its cache
during login (I think I've red something about Windoze cache
on the Internet, but don't remember where).

What can I do to overcome this problem? Just reboot the
machine (standard MS procedure)?

TIA
Martin

my smb.conf (important parts):
[global]
        smb passwd file = /samba/samba/smbpasswd

        ; security options
        guest account = nobody
        security = user
        encrypt passwords = no