NT Password - I'm still stuck

Dave Kirkby davek at medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Mon Nov 16 10:57:22 GMT 1998

Hi all,
            I have at home a Sun IPC running Solaris 2.6 and Samba 1_9_18p8. The Sun is on a network of just
two computers - the other computer being a PC running NT4, with service pack 3. The samba works fine on the
unix machine (Sun).

When service pack 3 was installed on the NT4 PC, I initially had to enable plaintext passwords, but I've now
changed to encrypted passwords, and set the Plain Text Passwords parameter that I had to set to 1 in the
registry, now to zero (I assume that's as good as removing it completely ???)  I've used smbpasswd to create
them on the Sun, and that seems to work fine. Someone suggested I would need to put my NT home directory on
the Sun, which I have now done, but still the NT machine asks for a password every time a share is used.

Is there anything else I need to do, in order to stop the NT machine asking for passwords every time ??? I
have set up encrypted  passwords, and set the home directory on the Sun (M:\ is \export\home\davek), and this
is now the home directory for use davek.

One possiblility is that if I have done everything correct, and it should work, there is a problem with my
network settings on the PC. There are some very uninformative messages in the Event Viewer - something about
Master Browser, and it mentions the Sun.  The NT expert at work has offered to look them up if I bring in the
event numbers - something I have not yet done.

Any suggestions ?

Dave Kirkby.