Performance Tuning advice

Jim Morris jim at morris.net
Sat Nov 14 04:21:32 GMT 1998

On Fri, 13 Nov 1998 servis at purdue.edu wrote:

> Note, I can't help but I can point.
>
> You could look in the archives of this list since this seems to be a
> common subject.  Last month had some good traffic on this subject.
> http://samba.anu.edu.au/listproc/samba/.

Okay - a search of the digest archives on the Samba WWW pages didn't
turn up anything real recent - I'll have to browse last months digest I
guess.  But a search of the newsgroup archives at dejanews.com turned up
some stuff. I've tried adding "SO_RCVBUF=4096 SO_SNDBUF=4096" to my
socket options. That appears to have made about a 100KB/sec increase in
read performance, but has cut write performance in half.  Looks like
something to experiment with though....  I'm not sure if those socket
options could have a negative impact. I also wonder how it differs from
playing with the max xmit and things like that....

Thanks for the pointers - I'm off to look at the digest archives again...

| Jim Morris  |  jim at morris.net |