Using PAM to keep smbpasswd and passwd/shadow in sync

Daryl L. Biberdorf darylb at mail.ctsfw.edu
Thu Nov 12 16:44:32 GMT 1998

I'm running Samba 1.9.18p10 under Linux kernel 2.0.35 with PAM.
We are in the process of shifting to full encrypted passwords
using /etc/smbpasswd.

However, the user's main UNIX password needs to be kept in sync
with Samba. PAM would seem to make this easy. However, the
/etc/pam.d/samba entry on my system reads like this:
	auth    required        /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so nullok shadow
	account required        /lib/security/pam_unix_acct.so

This doesn't look like it's going to update smbpasswd. Will it?

If not, what do I need to do to make PAM keep the two passwords
in sync? Please accept my apologies if I have completely
misunderstood something. I did some searches on the archives,
but I couldn't find what I needed.

Thanks.

Daryl