domain controller parameter

Chris Knox cknox at hypercom.com
Wed Nov 11 17:08:58 GMT 1998

>From the <samba>/var/log/<client>.log file:

	doing parameter domain controller = AZPHXNT01
	Unknown parameter encountered: "domain controller"
	Ignoring unknown parameter "domain controller"

>From the smb.conf file:

	# Domain Master specifies Samba to be the Domain Master Browser. This
	# allows Samba to collate browse lists between subnets. Don't use this
	# if you already have a Windows NT domain controller doing this job
	domain master = no

	# Preferred Master causes Samba to force a local browser election on
	startup
	# and gives it a slightly higher chance of winning the election
	;   preferred master = yes

	# Use only if you have an NT server on your network that has been
	# configured at install time to be a primary domain controller.
	domain controller = AZPHXNT01
#Yes, it is the primary domain controller.

	# Enable this if you want Samba to be a domain logon server for
	# Windows95 workstations.
	domain logons = no

Why is the domain controller parameter sparking an error message?

FWIW I've managed to make my samba server visible on some browse lists,
but not all.  Unfortunately, just because the server is visible doesn't
mean that a particular PeeCee can mount it.  They get an "Invalid Path"
error.  I did not see any notation of the failure to connect in the log
files when it failed most recently.

Conversely, on many systemms that CANNOT see samba in the browse list,
the user can mount the server with the \\system\directory path.

Terribly confusing.  Any pointers or ideas welcome.

Chris

--
Chris Knox                                               cknox at hypercom.com
Hypercom, Inc.                                               (602) 504-5888