Getting my samba server to show up in browse lists

Robert Dahlem Robert.Dahlem at frankfurt.netsurf.de
Sat Nov 7 15:14:18 GMT 1998

Chris,

On Sat, 7 Nov 1998 03:27:52 +1100, Chris Knox wrote:

>I've succeeded in making my samba server visible around the net, however
>I can't convince the thing to appear in the browse lists on remote
>subnets.  I've read John Terpstra's article on configuring a browser at
>
>	http://samba.anu.edu.au/samba/ftp/docs/BROWSING-Config.txt
>
>however my (admittedly willful) ignorance of Microsoft networking is
>making this article seem rather opaque.  I can read it that I must have
>a list of subnets at "remote browse sync" and the same list at "remote
>announce" or I understand that it's not necessary since I have a single
>WINS server.

> [...]

>[global]
>workgroup = INTRANET
>   server string = Samba Server
>hosts allow = [a dozen subnets in a.b.c. format -- could long lines cause a prob
>lem?]
>remote browse sync = [same dozen subnets as above]
>remote announce = [same dozen subnets as above]

For the first attempts try not to use "hosts allow" nor "remote browse sync" to
eliminate side effects.

As far as I remember "remote announce" needs a workgroup, not only a subnet
address.

Try to make sure your remote announcements reach the remote subnet: sniff around
with i.e. tcpdump in the source net for brodcasts directed to port 137
(netbios-nameservice) in the destination net. Then sniff in the destination net
for those broadcasts to make sure they reach it (perhaps your router eats them).

If you have a domain master browser or WINS server in the destination net try to
direct "remote announce" to this special server, not to the whole subnet.

Hasta la vista,
               Robert

Robert.Dahlem at frankfurt.netsurf.de
Radio Bornheim - 2:2461/332 at fidonet +49-69-4930830  (ZyX, V34)
                 2:2461/326 at fidonet +49-69-94414444 (ISDN X.75)