Browsing shares not done as guest? (was: Cannot browse the shares on Samba server)

Benjamin Scott bscott at hamptonsys.com
Thu Nov 5 15:02:52 GMT 1998

On Wed, 4 Nov 1998, Sean E. Millichamp wrote:
> As far as I can tell, one of two things is occuring:  Your Win 95 OSR2 has
> one of the MS networking updates applied to it that requires you to use
> Samba's "encrypted password" support (I believe this is already patched
> with OSR2).

  I had thought that browsing was supposed to be done as the "guest" user, but
I setup a client account (complete with encrypted password matching the
Windoze machine), and sure, enough, that fixed it!

  Thank you very much for your prompt response.  You have saved me a great
deal of trouble.  :-)  I owe you a <insert food or beverage item of choice
here>.

  Now, a curiosity question: I had thought, from reading BROWSING.txt, that
browsing of shares was done as the guest user, same as browsing of hosts.  I
gather my assumption was incorrect, and that you need to authenticate your
username/password with the SMB server before you can see the shares on that
server?