Help: Cannot browse the shares on Samba server

Benjamin Scott bscott at hamptonsys.com
Wed Nov 4 22:14:15 GMT 1998

Hello all,

  I really hate to just blast out a message right after subscribing to the
list, but we're having equipment troubles and getting this new Linux server
running just became priority -20.  :(

  Base install is Red Hat Linux 5.1, with all the latest errata patches
applied.  Platform (for now) is a 90 MHz Pentium, 16MB of RAM, 3Com 3C509
Ethernet card.  LAN is 10BaseT, running TCP/IP and IPX (all frame type
Ethernet_II).  Several Win95 (OSR2) clients, running both protocols.  Linux
boxes running pure TCP/IP, and a Netware server running IPX.

  I downloaded Samba 1.9.18p10, compiled in an absolutely stock configuration,
and created a basic smb.conf file.  For this test setup, I stripped the Win95
client network stack down to the NIC driver, TCP/IP, and the Windows
Networking client.  No IPX, no Netware.  I did not configure WINS.  DNS is
pointed at the proper DNS for our LAN.

  The problem: When I start smbd and nmbd, the Linux box (BENDEN) shows up in
"Network Neighborhood".  But if I try to browse the shares on BENDEN, it
either asks me for the password for "IPC$", or just says access denied.  At
the MS-DOS prompt, a "NEW VIEW" shows BENDEN, but "NET VIEW \\BENDEN" does the
same sort of thing -- prompts for a password, and then complains with "Error
86:  Specified password is not correct".

  All the tests in the "DIAGNOSTICS.txt" file pass, right up until the one I'm
trying above.  smbclient can talk to smbd no problems, and nmbnookup works
like a charm.  nmblookup can even see TELGAR, the Win95 client.  Here's an
excerpt from the log.smb file, from right around when I try that "NET VIEW
\\BENDEN":

  Transaction 1 of length 158
  switch message SMBnegprot (pid 2558)
[ bunch of protocol selection stuff ]
  Transaction 2 of length 161
  switch message SMBsesssetupX (pid 2558)
  Domain=[HAMPTONSYS] NativeOS=[Windows 4.0] NativeLanMan=[Windows 4.0]
  sesssetupX:name=[BSCOTT]
  error packet at line 644 cmd=115 (SMBsesssetupX) eclass=2 ecode=2
  error string = No such file or directory
  end of file from client

  I really don't get that.  File not found?  What file?  Line 644 in what?
The packet?  A source file?  /etc/magic?  I'm more confused then a Microsoft
engineer at ALS.  Could anyone shed some light on this?

  Here's smb.conf:

  [global]
  workgroup=HAMPTONSYS
  security=user
  guest account=nobody
  log level=3
  [hsgtest]
  path=/tmp
  writable=yes
  public=yes

  I'm running with a shadowed /etc/passwd, but that shouldn't make a
difference with PAM, should it?

  Any help will be greatly appreciated!  advTHANKSance

Benjamin Scott <bscott at hamptonsys.com>          Phone: (603)431-7315
Hampton Systems Group, Inc.                     Fax  : (603)431-0822
http://www.hamptonsys.com                       DSN  : 852-3581