SOLARIS_2.6: request_oplock_break (PR#10919)

Douglas K. Fischer skeet at Bridgewater.EDU
Wed Nov 4 20:52:39 GMT 1998

On Tue, 3 Nov 1998, Douglas K. Fischer wrote:

> We tried upgrading to p10 on this particular system (all the other servers
> are already running p10) but ran into a serious problem with password
> change attempts. (I was waiting until I'd had a chance to gather more info
> on this before reporting it) I'm still working with the Network
> Administrator to debug this, but it appears on the surface to him like the
> password change program as specified in smb.conf is not being called with
> all the proper arguments as listed in smb.conf. Here's what these entries
> look like:
>    passwd program = /usr/local/sbin/BCpassman -user %u terra pluto
>    passwd chat = *new*password* %n\n *retype*new*password*
> %n\n*All\nis\nwell\n
>
> BCpassman appears not to receive the "terra" and "pluto" arguments when it
> is called, which is bombing out the password syncronization we do. As a
> result we moved back to p8 until the password syncing can be done okay in
> p10.

I've finally been able to go some more debugging on this. The password
program is indeed being passwd the args correctly, but it looks like
the parent is hanging around out there waiting after the child exits.
Here's what I have in the logfile (debug level 100):

Doing SamOEMChangePassword
api_SamOEMChangePassword: Change password for <SKEET>
get_smbpwd_entry: opening file /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
get_smbpwd_entry: search by name: skeet
get_smbpwd_entry: skipping comment or blank line
get_smbpwd_entry: skipping comment or blank line
get_smbpwd_entry: skipping comment or blank line
get_smbpwd_entry: found by name: skeet
get_smbpwd_entry: returning passwd entry for user skeet, uid 1030
Password change for user: skeet
Dochild for user skeet (uid=0,gid=0)

I trussed the smbd parent process and got the following:

waitid(P_PID, 28377, 0x08046F60, WEXITED|WTRAPPED) (sleeping...)

This child process is currently defunct.