SOLARIS_2.6: request_oplock_break (PR#10919)

Jeremy Allison jallison at cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Tue Nov 3 20:17:00 GMT 1998

skeet at Bridgewater.EDU wrote:

> Basically what it looks like to me is that an smbd process is spawning a
> child which goes defunct for some reason I have yet to determine and the
> smbd process hangs out there waiting for the child. Of course the child is
> never going to answer being defunct, so the parent smbd process sticks
> around and keeps its oplocks.

That would definately explain the oplock break errors.

However the actual status of a "defunct" process is
listed from the ps man page as :

"A process that has exited and has a parent, but has not
yet been waited for by the parent, is marked <defunct>."

However, looking at the 1.9.18p10 code (and Samba2.0 is
similar here) the parent goes into the "talktochild()"
function and then goest into a sys_wait() call to wait
for the dead child (first doing a kill() on the child
if the password change failed, just to make sure the
child is dead).

If it's hanging - then it's doing so within the talktochild()
call.

Can you do a truss on the parent when it's in this
state to see what system call(s) it's doing ?

Trying this with p10 would also help track this
one.

Cheers,

	Jeremy Allison,
	Samba Team.