Printing problem

George Turner George.Turner at lmco.com
Tue Nov 3 18:29:14 GMT 1998

If this is not the correct place for this mail, please notify me an
provide the correct address.

My problem is with printing.  When the "print command" from the smb.conf
file is accessed, it apparently fails, for what I believe is the error
of "not a printable file".  I am sending print jobs from Win98 to Linux
Samba.  The file arrives and is spooled correctly.  I can direct the
spool file to the printer manually using the command "cat filename >
/dev/lp1" and the file prints properly, however if I use "lpr filename",
then I get an unprintable file error from lpr.  I am using an HP560C
Deskjet and I can print ok using regular doc files using lpr.  I have
used printtool to configure my etc/printcap file.  I believe that my
problem is the resolution of the proper lpr command to use as the "print
command" in the smb.conf file.  I am using "lpr -r -P%p %s" currently
and have tried many variations using the -Ff filter formats to no
avail.  I know that I am spooling the file correctly or the "cat
filename > /dev/lp1" would not work, so the problem has to be the lpr
command.

Please provide the proper command or the correct HOWTO to resolve this
problem.

Thank You

--
George E. Turner