Is Samba typically slower sending files than receiving?

Greg Cox greg.cox at meltonmachine.com
Tue Nov 3 13:53:51 GMT 1998

Is Samba typically slower sending files than receiving?

I have seen this both at home and at work.
Sometimes the throughput is 1/2 when I copy files from Samba
than when I copy to Samba (From WinNT and Win95/98)

The Players --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have been playing with the options for three days.
I have an NT server that is old.  pentium 100 with ide drives 100mbit net
card
I have an Win95 box that is amd k6-300 with ide drives 100 mbit net card
I have an NT workstations that is pentium pro 200 with 100 mbit net card
I have an Linux box that is cyrix 200 with ide drives and 100 mbit net card

I can send files to them about the same.
Samba is the slowest when it comes to getting files off of them.

The Results ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a directory of 115MB of files.
Win95 takes me 92 sec to send and 50 sec to rec
NT Server takes me 68 to send and 52 sec to rec
NT Workstation takes me 55 sec to send and 38 sec to rec
Sambe takes me 70 sec to send but it takes 125 sec to rec.

I am sitting on a NT Workstation dual pentiumII300 with SCSI drives and 100
mbit card.

The Settings -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are the settings in my smb.conf
[global]

   workgroup = WORKGROUP
   server string = Samba Server - Linux 5.1
   hosts allow = 90. 127.
   load printers = yes
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 50
   security = share
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY OS_KEEPALIVE
   read prediction = yes
   dns proxy = no

Why?
What?