password stuff

Stephen L Arnold arnold.steve at ensco.com
Mon Nov 2 18:18:04 GMT 1998

Greetings All:

I hope everyone had a fun Halloween weekend (I carved 4 big
pumpkins and gave out a bucket full of rubber eyeballs and stuff).

I'm hoping somebody can explain the password behavior I've been
seeing (and a couple of other things).  Here's my setup:

An isolated LAN (most clients have modems for dialling out) with
one linux/samba machine (RedHat 4.2, kernel 2.0.30, samba 1.9.18p8)
and ~20 win95 (OSR/2.1) clients.  We used to have Netware 4.11
until the new PC/lan guy decided we didn't it any more (our old
server now runs win95 -ugh).  Most clients now run NetBEUI and
TCP/IP (except for the PC/lan guy, who's afraid of everything).
Some still have the (now useless) IPX/SPX stack loaded; when I
removed it from some of the clients, we got this "Netware shell is
not available" error which takes a little effort to get rid of, so
he just left the IPX stack loaded on most of the machines.

Anyway, I've given everyone accounts on my linux box (with the same
user names as their win95 machine names), but the PC/lan guy won't
let me enable PDC, browse master, or WINS stuff.

Question 1)  Why am I the only one who can browse the samba shares
without entering a password?  Here's what I think (please give me
some feedback).  When we had Netware, everyone was set to Network
Login.  Now, some people still have it set (but there's nothing to
validate the login), while others have it set to Windows Login.
AFAIK, I'm the only one who uses their linux password as the
Network Login password for windoze (and that's why I can browse the
samba shares without entering a password again).  Would that be
more or less correct?  Also, when others try and load an html doc
on the linux box (from windoze), it won't work until they browse
there and enter their password.  When I get my other linux box up,
this one will be running Apache, but for now the html docs are just
static (which should take care of the latter behavior?).

Question 2)  It doesn't happen on my windoze box (of course), but
on most everyone else's machine, windoze launches the autodial box
(either MS or Netscape) when they try and telnet to the linux box.
Anyone know how to stop it from doing that?  Something in the TCP
keys in the registry perhaps?

Question 3)  What would be the advantage of making samba the browse
master?  It seems like we're always having little network problems
now with NetBEUI (where IPX was very stable), eg, machines and
shares randomly disappear and then reappeared later, or some
machines can see some resources but not others, while other
machines can see things the first group can't.  I get the feeling
that windoze sends a lot of unnecessary network traffic, and when
something doesn't respond right away, clients hang, etc (I may be
ignorant, but a network design that allows one goofy client to take
down other clients seems like a bad thing).

I'm no expert, but I get the feeling that if I enabled some of the
samba features, things would get better, such as security (PDC
stuff), browsing (browse master stuff), and WINS.  Can anyone give
me some arguments to present to the PC/lan guy (or my boss) on why
it would be better to use those samba features?

Thanks in advance, Steve Arnold

Stephen L. Arnold                        Senior Systems Engineer
ENSCO Inc.                        email:  arnold.steve at ensco.com
P.O. Box 5488                         www:  http://www.ensco.com
Vandenberg AFB, CA  93437             voice: 805.734.8232 x68838
                                               fax: 805.734.4779
#include <std_disclaimer.h>